Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hi Ho to Teach for America Finals I go

What an interesting set of requirements.  They want my transcripts from college.  Thats a lot of different places to go for paperwork.  I attended four different schools.  Two junior colleges and two CSU.  I don't know what I will do for the teaching sample lesson segment.  Other than that, I'm ready.  My transcripts should be ready for me by next Thursday.  My interview is scheduled for the 31st in Palo Alto.  It looks like a fun day.  Apparently, they only select 17% of their finalists.  I'm ok with that.  I'm really going to just have fun.  The finalists only spend part of the day teaching, just five minutes.  It looks like one long day of small group communications.  I enjoyed that part in college.  

The pros of Teach for America:  Great way to get experience teaching and to find out if I have what it takes to do the job.  Also, I had wanted to do some community service and this would look great on my resume.   

The cons:  I would have to leave home for two years.  I sure would miss it here!  I love my Mom and the ranch.  Possibly, the job may be very demanding and there would be hardly any time for art or music.  It might encroach on my workout times.  More on that in EDH Diet.

No comments: